Table of Contents
When you are a survival enthusiast or an outdoor adventurer, one of the main things you consider when buying gear is weight. This is why you prefer to opt for survival tools that are lightweight, portable, and multi-functional.
The survival stove is one of the most commonly carried and used tools – it is not only convenient, practical and portable, but most importantly, lightweight, making it easy to carry on your outdoor trips.
Fortunately, nowadays, there are countless survival stoves that you can choose from based on your needs and budget. Whether you are going out camping or need a stove for your survival gear, you are sure to find one that is perfect for you.
At a Glance: Our Choices for The 6 Best Survival Stoves
Click on one of the links to go directly to our overview, opinion, and features of each stove.
How to Choose a Good Survival Stove
With so many to choose from, how do you choose the right survival stove? Here is a look at some of the things you should consider to make sure that you choose a good survival stove:
- Weight: As mentioned above, when it comes to stoves you plan to carry on outdoor trips or for survival gear, weight plays a major role. Different stove types come with varying weights. For example, gram-saver stoves can weigh less than one ounce, while large power burners can weigh nearly one pound. You should pick a lightweight survival stove that is easy to carry wherever you go, whether you are camping, hiking, hunting, etc. or on a serious survival trip in the wilderness.
- Type: There are a variety of survival stove types to choose from, making it pretty tough to decide on which would be best. A few of the most common options are canister stoves, alcohol stoves, solid fuel stoves, liquid fuel stoves, and wood stoves. Each has its own pros and cons, so it is vital that you do a little research on each to find out which one would be best for your needs.
- Use: When you are out in the wilderness, what do you plan to use your stove for? Do you need a stove for boiling water for rehydrating food or do you plan to actually cook? These are important questions to ask before choosing a survival stove. If you only need to boil water, then you can pick a simple, easy-to-use stove. If you plan to cook your meals in the great outdoors, it may be more worthwhile to purchase a survival stove that comes with certain features, like simmer control, wind performance, etc., to help make the task easier.
- Stability: Have you ever knocked a prepared meal onto the ground while on an outdoor trip? Unless you like your food with dirt, you want to make sure that you avoid this at all costs. If you plan to do your outdoor cooking using big pots, you will need a survival stove that comes with a wide base. This ensures that the stove will rest securely on the ground. If you are going to use smaller pots to cook, you can go for upright canister stoves. However, keep in mind that this type of survival stove is not very stable, so you will need to be careful while cooking.
- Price: Survival stoves these days come at different prices. Some are extremely expensive while there are those that are very affordable. Expensive stoves are usually more convenient to use and durable. There are many stoves that are exceptional and give you great value without costing a fortune. However, if you go out on outdoor or survival trips on a regular basis, it might be better to spend a little extra on a stove that will last you a long time. Investing in a more expensive survival stove could save you money in the long run. However, if you plan to use it no more than a couple of times a year, an affordable, good quality one will do just fine.
The Top 6 Survival Stoves
Solo Stove Lite
The Solo Stove Lite is a 9oz natural convection inverted down gas gasifier stove with double walls. It is an extremely efficient and effective wood stove that is easy to use and carry. The stove has an air intake holes in the bottom, which feed the fire from below and above.
This gives you a hot burn with less smoke and it will also not scorch the ground under the stove. The Solo Stove Lite does away with the need to carry fuel, which makes it a really convenient tool to carry on outdoor adventures. If you are looking for an easy-to-use survival stove, this is definitely one of the best options available.
The Solo Stove Lite is a wood stove that works well with very little smoke. The air intake holes help in feeding the fire. We really like that fact that it gives a less smoky burn than many other survival stoves and does not scorch the ground underneath it.
When you use the Solo Stove Lite, you also do not need to use a windscreen, so you do not have to carry an extra accessory for it. But at 9 ounces, it is pretty heavy – we wish it was a tad lighter. It is also not the best stove for winter outdoor trips. But all in all, the Solo Stove Lite works efficiently and we think it is a salient buy.
Esbit Ultralight Folding Pocket Stove
If you are looking for a lightweight, compact and affordable survival stove, you should check out the Esbit Ultralight Folding Pocket Stove. The design is simple, so it is very easy to use. Made of galvanized steel, this survival stove is built to last a long time and is very stable as well.
It packs up small and the package includes 6 smokeless Esbit tabs to get you started. If you are on the lookout for a small stove that you can fold and carry easily in your backpack, the Esbit Ultralight Folding Pocket Stove is one of the best ones out there.
We really like the Esbit Ultralight Folding Pocket Stove when it comes to survival stoves that use solid fuel. This stove is light and compact, making it easy to carry on outdoor trips. With solid fuel, you do not have to worry about spilling fuel and no worries, you can roast marshmallows with the heat this device produces.
However, solid fuel is expensive, so it may not be the best stove for some. Additionally, it does not work well when there is wind, which means that you will need a windscreen, and it leaves residue on utensils. Other than that, we did not find any major issues and think that Esbit Ultralight Folding Pocket Stove is a sensational survival stove that comes at an affordable price.
OUTON Portable Camping Wood Stove
If you prefer wood stoves to other types of survival stoves, you will definitely like the OUTON Portable Camping Wood Stove. Designed for better portability, this stove is compact and lightweight, ideal for any type of outdoor activity.
This is a foldable stove so you can carry it in your backpack without adding bulk or weight. With its stainless steel construction, you can expect the OUTON Portable Camping Wood Stove to be sturdy and durable. Quick and efficient, this survival stove is a very choice for anyone looking for a wood stove that is easy to carry and store.
There is something about wood stoves that is pleasant and nostalgic. It is similar to a campfire which we think is great. The OUTON Portable Camping Wood Stove is a superb choice among the many wood stoves available nowadays.
It is foldable so carrying and storing it after use is easy and convenient. It is made of high-quality stainless steel, ensuring durability. And no worries, you can make your outstanding pancakes with the heat this device offers you.
However, the OUTON Portable Camping Wood Stove is not the best choice for outdoor trips during winter and it takes some time and effort, not to mention practice, to get a fire started. But we do not have major complaints and think that OUTON Portable Camping Wood Stove is worth the price they are asking.
BioLite Wood Burning Camp Stove
This nifty survival gear is another very well-made stove that is ideal for all types of outdoor activities. What sets this stove apart from other similar units is that it features an internal powerbank and can generate electricity from fire which provides power for most USB-chargeable devices.
On a full burn, it can boil a liter of water in merely 4.5 minutes. The BioLite Wood Burning Camp Stove is quite pricey but worth it as it provides more than just fire.
When you want a lightweight survival stove that has extra features like USB charging, the BioLite Wood Burning Camp Stove is ideal. This wood stove works fast and efficiently – it really does boil water very fast.
We like the internal powerbank. Although it does not generate enough power to charge devices properly, it does help a little when you need to charge your phone or other devices for just a bit. And for sure, you can make outstanding oatmeal with raisins using this magnificent heating device.
You also need to be a little careful while cooking as the stove is not as stable as you would like. However, all in all, the BioLite Wood Burning Camp Stove is well designed and almost smokeless, and we recommend it for those looking for more than a survival stove.
Ohuhu Portable Stove
Made with high-quality stainless steel, the Ohuhu Portable Stove is a sturdy, stable and safe survival stove ideal for all types of outdoor trips. It is geared with a three-arm base support system that gives it stability.
It burns very well and is lightweight and collapsible with its own mesh carry bag. The Ohuhu Portable Stove does not require alcohol or fuel canisters so you do not have to worry about leaving harmful chemical emissions behind. This eco-friendly survival stove is definitely a great pick for outdoor and survival enthusiasts.
If you are looking for a cheap, easy-to-assemble survival stove, go for the Ohuhu Portable Stove. It is well constructed and comes with a three-arm base that ensures that it does not shift or fall while cooking. Lightweight and compact, it fits into backpacks very well. Love a good steak? You can cook some steak using this device and thrive in the Great Outdoors.
We like the small space available inside the stove itself that you can use to store small items like a fire starter or lighter, a Scotch Brite pad or a small pouch of kindling. The burner ring needs to be improved as it is not sturdy or stable enough, so you have to be careful. But overall, we think that the Ohuhu Portable Stove is a sensational stove, especially for the price it comes at, and an excellent option for those on a budget.
Coghlan’s Emergency Camp Stove
The Coghlan’s Emergency Camp Stove is a compact and convenient survival stove that does not require liquids, wicks or priming. It comes with 24 fuel tablets – it is compatible with a wide range of solid fuel.
This stove is solid and strong and because it has a very simple design, it is incredibly easy to use. The compact size of the Coghlan’s Emergency Camp Stove makes it easily fit into backpacks, emergency and survival kits, etc. For warmth and cooking in the outdoors or emergency situations, choose this nifty stove.
The Coghlan’s Emergency Camp Stove is a simple yet efficient survival stove that is very easy to use. We like the fact that you can use almost any type of solid fuel with it – no hunting for specific tablets from store to store. It is compact and can easily fit into any backpack or emergency kit.
Want some hot tea in the morning – you can make that happen with this device!
Although we found it surprisingly hefty – made of stainless steel – we still think it is very portable. It is the perfect stove for any type of outdoor activity or emergency situation. Solid, stable, and durable, the Coghlan’s Emergency Camp Stove is definitely one of the top survival stoves available today. If you are in the market for an affordable, efficient survival stove, this is the one you should definitely pick.
Although there is nothing like a campfire, survival stoves are more convenient and safer. Plus, they can enhance your outdoor adventure in ways that not many other tools can. Over the past few years, survival stoves have become increasingly compact, lightweight, and convenient.
You can find just about any type of stove for your cooking and heating needs when you are in the wilderness. But with so many choices, it can be quite tough to pick the right one. The survival stoves mentioned above will give you an idea of what is available nowadays and you can make a choice based on your specific needs and of course, your budget.